Wednesday, September 05, 2007

royal perth hospital

last night was a night of severe pains and miracles.
I went to bed at 12am with feelings of nauseousness
At 3am i awoke from severe pain which intensified on and off. In the beginning it was so painful tt i tot i was going to die. I even wanted to call an ambulance. As a nurse, i was telling myself, it is just pain, just tolerate it. the doctors cant do much for abdominal pains anyway, the emergency dept is too expensive and i noe the ones in spore make u wait forever esp w abd pain its low priority no matter how pain it is.Is it a temporary pain or is some bug really eating up my intestines? The pain was so bad tt the christian aspect of me was telling God " god i will never anyhow eat again le. Just take away the pain. Please God i will take care of my diet from now on, please help me ..." i had never had such intense pains before. Its indescribable. I couldnt even stand or come out of bed without difficulty and had to crawl to the toilet. And since i had experiences of food poisoning before, i knew this wasnt food poisoning. I dunno how i did it, but i crawled to my laptop and googled for the symptoms of indigestion and appendicitis. Learnt before but forgot le haha. the symptoms matched indigestion more than appendicities to my relief. But the pain was too intense for it to be indigestion i was thinking. hahaah so funny..in the midst of pain, can still google search. issit such a nurse thing to do or does it just make me wierd haha ..hahah..makes me laugh thinking of it.... I didnt wake my housemates coz i didnt wanna make them worry unless if one of them is a doctor than of coz wake up la... hahah
the pain continued on and off till 430am until i cannot tolerate anymore than i called my friend to bring me to the hospital. On the way to the hospital, there wasnt anymore pain....but my friend still insisted we go ahead since this other friend came all the way to pick me up le. At the royal perth emergency dept, i was registered and i felt quite silly. Coz i didnt have the pains anymore.....Praise the Lord. In the end , i opted not to see the doctor le. If the pains come back , i will just go see the GP. Its a miracle. coz after tt i was still able to eat bacon, eggs etc for breakfast. I felt so bad for troubling two friends for what seems like nothing. But honestly i comtemplated v long before deciding to go . I guess if i hadnt contemplated so long, i might be at emergency requiring some drug to take the pain away.
This marks my first time going to the emergency department in the middle of the night. Come to think of it, i am a v healthy person. Never had any hospital history or history of fainting and i hardly fall ill.. sometimes the silly side of me wanna get some kind of sickness and suffer thru it and then get well so that i can understand how sick people really feel. No matter how in my position as a nurse tt i try to empathize with my patients conditions and feelings, my lack of similar experiences means i can sometimes take their pain or feelings lightly. Pain is something very subjective. No one can feel another person's pain. Prob from the increase in heart rate, blood pressure, perspiration, paleness etc you can tell the suffering the person is getting from the pain, but other than tt there is nothing to indicate for sure. Indians have a low low threshold of pain and screams before u touch them. The thought of u touching them is painful enough. Chinese generally do not express their pain as much as the pain they r going thru. ' ai4 mian4 zi3'. hahaha ..just speaking from experience and from school haha...they teach this in sch...=p
anyway thank God for taking away the pain, for turning my condition 360 degrees around as if it never happened and for sending me 2 angels Janica and Kenny who wake up at 4plus in the morning to send me to royal perth. I still have a little pain on and off. but its like 1 on a scale of 10 ..so its nothing...i can still eat as usual and work as usual. Just tt i am staying home. Not going out or exert myself physically in any way.
Being overseas, away from family is really being independent. I struggle alot and during times like this, it is when i realise how impt friends are and i also realise how in Singapore since family is always all around, it is so easy for me to take little things for granted.
since i started writing this entry, i tink i had released gas more than 15times le. Am i being too full of air? wahahha..ok shldnt be so explicit in a public blog...

3 Comments:

At 1:09 am, Blogger Fleur De La Lune said...

Dear Estee!!! Hope you're getting better now....... :o)

 
At 2:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.... i'm no doctor, but if the pains are gone, then i don't think there's too much worry.
what did you eat?

 
At 12:51 am, Blogger Sharine said...

glad you are ok le!! so scary...going to the hospital in the middle of the night!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home